The Emerald Archive

This is an open prompt role play site where you create the story, the world, and the rules of your thread. No limits and everything comes from your imagination.

Staff

Top posting users this month

Latest topics

» The Time World: A Journey Across Time and Space
Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:16 am by Kriemhild

» The Old World: A Rising Shadow [private]
Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:18 pm by Silim

» The Foreign World [Private]
Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:32 pm by Serenity

» The New World [Private]
Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:51 pm by Serenity

» Kamen Rider Spirits [Private, 1 spot open]
Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:08 am by Silim

» The Modern World [Private]
Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:04 am by Serenity

» Kamen Rider Spirits Campaign Discussion
Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:59 pm by Raiki

» The New World [Plot Discussion]
Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:56 am by Kriemhild

» The Closed World [OPEN]
Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:11 pm by Serenity

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 191 messages in 20 subjects

We have 8 registered users

The newest registered user is abojama

The Closed World—Plot Discussion Edition

Tsubine
    Admin

The Closed World—Plot Discussion Edition

Post by Tsubine on Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:47 am

The Closed World

Thread Rules
    1. Adhere to the site rules as stated here: Site Rules

2. Replies do not need to be extremely long. Instead, keep them condensed and avoid fluff and useless information. Posts can even be one or two sentences long if there isn't anything a character would do or say.

3. Keep extremely short 2-3 sentence replies to a minimum. If this is repeated, you've done something wrong with your character. Social interactions are going to be strong in this thread.

4. Posting Headers/Images are allowed as long as they're not massive.

5. Your character might die. Don't get mad at me for it. Instead, talk with me, and we'll find a way to get a new character in.

6. Superpowers and magic are not allowed.

Thread Prompt

The World:
    The year is 3203 AD. It has been 600 years since the surface of Earth was deemed completely uninhabitable. Constant war and overpopulation was the cause, and so the United Earth Federation, the ruling government at the time, devised what would become known as the Shell Program. The Shell Program was an idea to create a second, artificial landmass above the planet's surface. The Shell would be a continuous landmass that would stretch over the Americas, Europe, Asia, and Africa. Antartica and Australia, as well as islands deep in the ocean, would thus be left uncovered.

The Shell is made of carbon nanotubes, kevlar fiber, and lunar titanium. This made the entire structure lightweight but incredibly durable. It is supported by 1,500 half-mile-wide pillars, each one supporting a 32,580 square mile zone. Each pillar is made of the same type of material and extends a mile into the sky. Of course, there are many areas where the surface breaks through the Shell. These areas are the only exposure to the surface that most people will ever experience. The Shell has cities and artificial farms and small outposts built on the shiny surface. Most buildings are modular, allowing them to be built up or even moved at any given time.

The Shell was built over a period of 400 years and was christened on New Year's Day of the year 3000. Humans were living on it far before that, as they were migrated to the Shell as the world darkened above them. Some didn't migrate, and they didn't survive. The world progressed atop the Shell, and now only stories and a few scant images remain of the surface.

Things... changed on the surface over the years since the sun was blocked on Old Earth. Old Earth is what the people on the Shell call the surface. Old Earth is the dark place that no one but engineers are allowed to enter. Plants don't have sunlight, so most trees and flowers are simply extinct. Only those few plants that can exist on a diet of no sunlight whatsoever could survive. And they changed. Mushrooms the size of houses are all but common, and trees that were once plants that barely grew more than a foot tall now dominate the landscape. And that's nothing to speak of the creatures...

Current Setting: You start out at Pillar 134, built around 80 miles northeast of the former metropolis of Nashville in the former state of Tennessee. Pillar 134 has been having problems at the base of the massive column. The outer ring of sensor pylons seems to have come under attack by forces or creatures unknown. This is a great danger, as the sensor pylons protect the engineers by warning them before a creature strikes. You will be part of an expedition to repair the pylons. There are four types of positions that will be required—engineer, medic, scientist, and guard. Engineers are the people that are tasked with repairing the pylons. They're quite capable, but not combat effective. Medics are required on trips to Old Earth. The surface is not a fun place to be. Guards are the more armed members of the team. They're meant to make sure that the creatures and plants of the surface don't get killed. Scientists are down there to see why something is attacking the sensor pylons and to get as much data on Old Earth as possible.

You'll be traveling down on the VTOL Jennifer, a twin-engine craft that's made thirteen trips down to Old Earth. It has a four-man normal crew. There's the pilot, Luke Barstowe. He's a gruff man that's formerly of the UEF military. Not much is known of his early life though. Then there's the co-pilot, George LaVerne. George is the second co-pilot of Jennifer, and this is his second trip to the surface. Then there's chief engineer Oliver Pitkartos, who many describe as "the scariest black man they've ever seen." Oliver is rarely seen though—he's usually in the engine room of Jennifer. Lastly, there's Vivian Barbatos. Vivian is the only woman of Jennifer, but she's the master-at-arms of Jennifer. Vivian is the only person that Luke allows to talk back to him—because she's valuable.

You will be boarding the Jennifer at the start of the day at around 9AM. Don't be late.

Loadouts: Because you'll be given standardized gear, it's important to note what all you will have. You can bring a bit more than this, but please be reasonable. There's no reason the medic will have a missile launcher.
    Engineer:
    • 1 × Toolkit, specialized for sensor pylon repair
    • 1 × MK22C Light Laser Pistol, 2 additional energy packs. Can fire 50 shots on a single e-pack.

Medic:
    • 1 × Medical kit, includes field injury kit.
    • 1 × MK22C Light Laser Pistol, 2 additional energy packs. Can fire 50 shots on a single e-pack.

Guard:
    • 1 × MK37 Rail Carbine, 8 additional magazines. Can fire 40 shots per magazine. Comes with shotgun or grenade attachment.
    • 1 × MK23A Heavy Laser Pistol, 4 additional energy packs. Can fire 50 shots on a single e-pack.
    • 1 × Vibro-knife.
    • 4 × Type-4 Fragmentation Grenade

Repairman:
    • 1 × Toolkit, general repair.

Scientist:
    • 1 × G-7L "Hardiman" drone. Flying orb used as a second set of eyes to determine what something could be. Unarmed.
    • 1 × Lab tablet, used to take samples and to analyze them.

Player Amount: I'm looking for at least 2 other people to join, 3 would be preferred, and my maximum is 5. Doubling up on classes is allowed!

If you have any questions before I start this, please ask away here.
    Serenity
    Head Admin

Re: The Closed World—Plot Discussion Edition

Post by Serenity on Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:29 pm

The world is well put together. You already know I like the concept. I do wonder what has changed about humans after many years of being so much farther above sea level. Part of me thinks that nothing would really change since people do live in high mountains, but it'd be cool if there were some minor differences. You did already mention no super powers, so... Maybe color of eyes and hair? Is the air quality better? If so, what kinds of common illnesses plague humans after this massive change in habitat?

The only negative thing I noticed, which is something you might to pay attention to... If you go with those 4 NPCs, those are 4 people that you'll have to control separately from whatever character you choose to put in here. Of course, that's if one of them isn't your character. Either way, I know how you are with multi-character posts, so I'd be a bit careful with that. Either that, or put up a clause about people volunteering to control one of the NPCs for themselves. It'd take some of the load off of you, but could also change the way you view those characters. Not everyone will RP them like you originally saw them.
    Tsubine
    Admin

Post by Tsubine on Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:01 am

Very good points.
    Normal eye color, skin color, hair color: All darker by a slight bit.
    Air quality: Much better. A bit thinner, yes, but much better. Humans have mostly adapted to that change over time though.
    Diseases: Most diseases are rare, honestly. When the air standard changed, most humans had a hard time adjusting to the thinner atmosphere. This ended up creating a phenomenon known as "Shell Lungs." Shell Lungs makes it hard to breathe and causes constant lightheadedness and potential nausea. That's to say most Shell diseases are rare. Diseases on the surface, however, are still relatively unknown and therefore deadly...

NPCs: Besides Captain Barstowe, if someone else would like to RP as one of the NPCs, let me know. You'll still need a character from the list of classes available though.
    Illthion
    Private
    Private

Post by Illthion on Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:44 am

-Posts here to show interest-
    Serenity
    Head Admin

Post by Serenity on Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:25 am

As a note... I will be going the medic route and Gen has said he would grab up the guard route if no one else is going to. Decided to put this in here for just in case reasons.

Silim
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by Silim on Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:03 pm

Count me as interested. I've never played a Scientist before, so I'd like to go for that role! I've never played 'harder' sci-fi either (only one I've really RPed is Star Wars), so this should be pretty darn fun.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:04 pm