The Emerald Archive

This is an open prompt role play site where you create the story, the world, and the rules of your thread. No limits and everything comes from your imagination.

Staff

Top posting users this month

Latest topics

» The Time World: A Journey Across Time and Space
Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:16 am by Kriemhild

» The Old World: A Rising Shadow [private]
Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:18 pm by Silim

» The Foreign World [Private]
Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:32 pm by Serenity

» The New World [Private]
Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:51 pm by Serenity

» Kamen Rider Spirits [Private, 1 spot open]
Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:08 am by Silim

» The Modern World [Private]
Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:04 am by Serenity

» Kamen Rider Spirits Campaign Discussion
Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:59 pm by Raiki

» The New World [Plot Discussion]
Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:56 am by Kriemhild

» The Closed World [OPEN]
Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:11 pm by Serenity

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 191 messages in 20 subjects

We have 8 registered users

The newest registered user is abojama

Plot Discussion: A Rising Shadow

Silim
    Corporal
    Corporal

Plot Discussion: A Rising Shadow

Post by Silim on Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:51 am

The Old World: A Rising Shadow

Thread Rules
    1. Adhere to the site rules as stated.

2. Replies do not need to be extremely long. Instead, keep them condensed and avoid fluff and useless information. Posts can even be one or two sentences long if there isn't anything a character would do or say.

3. Keep extremely short 2-3 sentence replies to a minimum. If this is repeated, you've done something wrong with your character. Social interactions are going to be strong in this thread.

4. Posting Headers/Images are allowed as long as they're not massive.

5. Your character might die, or fall to darkness. While not ENTIRELY combat focused, this story is a very literal 'good versus evil' one, and the heroes don't always succeed. If you happen to die, you can possibly be brought back to life or join with a new character, just talk to me about working something out.

6. Every character is expected to have some sort of magic power, even if it manifests in them being just a better fighter than humanly possible.

7. Your character can be part of any high-fantasy race you can think of. Go ahead, give me a headache with your quarter dragon half griffon quarter caustic ooze. Just remember that you have to actually RP whatever you are! ... But nothing that would somehow allow you to create/control two characters at once. That would break the campaign.

8. Special Player Ability: Legend Pitch. Whenever a big problem arises, you, as a player, may suggest an old legend that can and will help out. Be it an artifact, a legendary old mage, or just the fact that the big evil castle has a secret entrance that was forgotten. Every player starts with one Legend Pitch, and if your pitch is good, it'll be restored after usage. Legend Pitches can be stopped by a majority vote, or, in hopefully very rare cases, me as the adventure runner. Stay somewhat reasonable and this will never happen, even if what you suggest is crazy - you're playing in a crazy world.

Proposed Rating: PG-13 to R, depending on player wishes

Thread Prompt

The World:
    In a different plane of reality, stretching to an infinite horizon... the world of magic and legend, an old world, full of valorous heroes, dastardly villains, grand wizards, and burning emotion. This world was created by the creation goddess, Aura, and her brother, the god of the end, Cubia.

The Old World, as it is called, is a high-fantasy setting that uses and subverts virtually all of the tropes usually associated with the setting at once, simply due to age and sheer size. The main inhabitants of the land can be split into two major groups: Humanoids and beastials. This applies only to their appearance, not their intelligence or magic strength. Among these two groups, you can find virtually every fantasy race you can imagine. Dragons? Got those. Elves? Do you want them in forest, high, winter, or dark variety, because we've got all of those, and MANY more. Two things are important to remember, too: All humanoids can interbreed with other humanoids, same going for beastials, creating every possible hybrid (how do half-giants exist? Size-changing magic, that's how).

Despite this, quite a few species from both humanoid and beastial varieties are completely 'feral', and are seen as the animals of the world. So in a way, that bird singing in a tree is actually related to the azure dragon you're traveling with...

Current Setting: Our story begins during what could very well be the end times of the Old World. A war, more terrible than any before, has broken out between virtually every nation on the planet. In the flames of that chaos, Cubia, the god of the world's end, has risen from his slumber - for when shadow overtakes light, he is destined to devour all living beings and the world itself to reset the universe.

YOU are an inhabitant of the world still filled with light. Refugee, soldier, even a king trying to end the wars, or a slave forced to create war machines... Or just an adventurer now in a world that has gone insane. YOU all hear a call in your mind, and are transported, far away, into the Realm of the Goddeess. Aura, the goddess of creation and life, stands before YOU and gives you a single task: Defeat the Rising Shadow. Find out just what caused this state of the world, reverse it... And with the power of emotion, find a way to stop the end of the world as you know it.

Congratulations, YOU were just made into the last line of defense of your very world! Fail, and even your immortal soul won't be safe! Enjoy!

Character Creation Guidelines: You're heroes, but not perfect ones. You can be powerful enough to break through stone with a swing of your weapon, your magic might ford a raging river for a time... But you are no gods. You have limits, you have weaknesses, and only TOGETHER can you defeat the Rising Shadow. Create a high-powered character, if you want to, or a low-powered one - just remember that you need to have weaknesses, AND that low-powered characters have a lot more chances for growth of power. Growth of personality isn't linked to that, of course.

You don't need to be a completely heroic character at all for the start - you just can't be evil. There needs to be SOMETHING, ANYTHING that has caused the goddess to take note of you out of all of her children - Some sort of virtue or trait that qualifies you for possibly being a hero. Why YOU were chosen out of all of her possible children will be revealed over the course of the game.

Player Amount: I'm looking for at least 2 other people to join, 3 would be preferred, and my maximum is 4. Only one character per person!

If you have any questions before I start this, please ask away here.
    Serenity
    Head Admin

Re: Plot Discussion: A Rising Shadow

Post by Serenity on Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:11 am

Okay, so I love the plot you're going with here. The world is vast enough to make almost any non-evil character work. My idea is a woman cursed by a demon of some sort, forcing her to limit her power.

She's a doctor, someone with innate magical healing and defensive ability. Normally, she doesn't fight. She sticks back and keeps the people she cares about safe, but... If someone pisses her off enough, makes her think she is going to die, or scares her enough... She can activate a "super" form that locks away all healing ability for twenty four hours, but gives her major control over the four elements. After the 24 hours, these abilities are locked away again until she is under extremely stressful circumstances.

Silim
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by Silim on Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:13 am

So much yes, Sere. Consider yourself in!
    Tsubine
    Admin

Post by Tsubine on Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:53 pm

This sounds pretty cool, honestly. This is definitely the type of site for something like Cubia to exist.

I have a couple of questions though:
    Are there any countries/kingdoms/etc. you already have established? For our characters, may we make one for backstory purposes?

And for my character idea:
    The best heroes are usually the ones that don't see themselves as one. My character would be a sword-for-hire. On the outside, he has a bit of a gruff attitude. It seems like nothing is personal to him, but he does have limits. A quote from Berserk that fits him IMO is at the beginning when Guts is offered the chance at becoming a squire. Someone says to him "For common mercenaries like us, becoming a squire is like a dream come true," and Guts replies "Dream? You can't eat dreams." He does what he does not because he wants to, but because it puts food on the table—and it's repaying a debt he owes to a town that saved him. When he isn't being a mercenary, he helps around that town the best he can. The guy is a good guy, but you'll never hear him say it.

He was once part of an order of knights known as Grey Wardens, who specialized in taking down spellcasters. They were disbanded years ago though, mainly due to internal strife.

When it comes to abilities, he doesn't have much in terms of magical ability. He has the aptitude for it, but has simply not unlocked his full potential. The reason being is that he is half-elf. He simply has the magic within him, just untapped. Instead, he's equipped with some strong gear instead. His sword is perhaps the strongest, as it is specially tuned to cut through enchantments and some lower-level evocations. An intentional touch (such as the requirement for intentional interruption of a magical circle, rather than an incidental touch) can disrupt warded materials, magical shields and defenses. The sword is made of silver and is supernaturally sharp—although it can and does chip if struck against heavier materials. He'll also have something like a Cloak of Resistance as a coat he wears. He's damn good with his sword and is incredibly agile (yay elf blood?). As for an actual magical ability, I'd say that he has something akin to the spell "Detect Magic" or "Arcane Sight" at will. He just knows magic when he sees it. If you think he might be a bit underpowered, I can up him up a bit.

Silim
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by Silim on Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:01 pm

Hey Tsubine, I'm really happy that you're interested!

For your backstory, you can come up with any kingdom you want on the fly. I have some rough outlines, but the world is much open for exploration and addition - a lot of different cultures and countries and such are entirely possible.

Your character sounds interesting for sure. Not all that powerful, but I could see him having a lot of potential for growth - elvish blood and good with a blade sounds exactly like the kind of guy who could evolve dramatically through the kind of dangers the group will surely face. Being able to see and recognize magic on sight is entirely reasonable, but probably not a very unique power, just informing you about that - the world is pretty much steeped in ancient magic, so a lot of people can probably do that. Most actual mages, for example. His equipment also seems very reasonable to me - magic resistant gear and a blade made to cut magic, very fitting for a mercenary who doesn't use magic talent himself yet lives in a world full of it.

I can work the Grey Wardens into some backstory and such if you want, or you can do that yourself by pitching some ideas over the course of the game, if you'd prefer. I want the world to feel like a creation of all of us, instead of just me.

Consider yourself part of our first Old World campaign, A Rising Shadow! I'll wait a bit longer to see if a third person wants to sign up for it as well before starting anything.

Right now, I'm debating on if I'll control one of the heroes, too, or stick entirely to controlling important NPCs and the world. I'll leave that up to you guys - if you want more structure from me, I'll stick to narrating your adventure. If you want everyone to have equal (or well, almost equal according to Legend Pitch rules) influence, then I'll play the following:

Some people control magic through words, some let it flow through their bodies and channel it... But the rarest kind of mage COMMANDS magic, and it obeys. A young man with the power of chaos and no real direction in life, pampered by the magic guild that is currently raising him, is among those called to the task. While he has incredible potential, he has yet to properly utilize his internal chaos, and this journey will be both a big wake-up call that not the entire world revolves around himself AND that talent alone means nothing if he can't control the chaos his magic is fueled by. This 'chaos' is somewhat inspired by the Chaos from Warhammer and Warhammer 40k, though not NEARLY as malicious - more of a neutral force. His 'magic' has thus a lot in common with psychic powers, though he can definitely learn some straight-up spellcasting to blast a fool later on. He'd start without much, if any, control over his chaos, until he properly embraces his command of it.
    Kriemhild
    Private
    Private

Post by Kriemhild on Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:50 am

Ever since I read this, I had a significant interest and I'd just like to say I'd love to join.  Here's my idea for a character for the group:.  

Helheim(Nickname given to her by her kingdom after her crime) Real name: Arianrhod)

(Idea numero uno): This was a spur of the moment but I still think it'd be a unique balance to the group and add a fun dynamic... a soldier, or better yet a commander/war general(or the highest rank of a soldier where you basically can command the army yourself, if i'm making sense), is what I'd make in the group.

Her back story would basically be summed up as someone who was fiercely loyal to her nation but to a fault. That loyalty basically led to her being out of touch with reality in regards to how many people she killed and whether or not they deserved to die,  whether or not they were innocent, you know, the soldier led astray by the people he or she fights for.  

In a nutshell, her king was a tyrant and in the worst way. And once she realized that, amid the wars she fought in his name and the villages she raided by his order,  she murdered him. Her kingdom was left in shambles and she openly admitted to killing him, and was content to let herself be executed, but aura could see that the light in her was merely the fact that she had always felt like she was fighting for a just cause and felt betrayal at the way it ended.

Or her high charisma and leadership could be other valuable traits for why she was transported away before she was well, head choppy offy'd, for a lack of a better description, haha.

For this group, while she wouldn't have to be, i think making her a high-powered character could fit because she'd be protective of the other heroes, to partly fix her guilt and because she adheres to protecting her comrades, even if it means sacrificing her own life.

Her personality would largely be a mix of the momma bear trope mixed in with Reinhard/Alexander-the-great-level charisma, so she definitely wouldn't fear being the first to do battle.  And while her history is darker, that hasn't had any adverse effect on her outside of the occasional, sweat-induced nightmares and personal guilt inside her.

She's very amicable personality wise, out spoken, and charismatic, as I mentioned.  If the others in the group are in danger, she is the first to put herself on the front line and keep them from harm. She can be serious and strict, but at no point is she ever a brooding character like most tend to be from a background like the one I mentioned.  

As far as her magical ability, she'd be a jack of all trades, master of none specialized in using Rune magic, aka writting letters into the air to invoke a certain affect.

(What Silim helped me with when I suggest using Runes in our skype chat)

Magic: Holy Runes. They're symbols that need to be written into the air with the finger or weapon quickly. Since they are Holy magic, she can access a variety of attacking and defending spells, such as barriers or burning rays of light to attack. While the attacks are obviously very fast, the speed of writing runes is her biggest drawback. As such, the whole jack of all trades concept would come in with her being fairly proficient in hand to hand combat, sword, knowing how to be agile and reflexive and strategic on the battlefield in order to make up for her sometimes not having to use her Runes since for a full effect, it probably wouldn't be done on the fly.

So there's my idea, sorry if it's larger to read than I expected. XD I got excited the more i wrote it.
    Tsubine
    Admin

Post by Tsubine on Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:43 am

And I have my character up. Valdbaste is his name, and please don't wear it out. You probably won't survive the following night.

Silim
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by Silim on Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:35 am

The thread is officially started! Feel free to join in whatever order you want. You're free to use the characters we've discussed here so far, or change it up if you feel like using another idea instead. This thread will remain as a discussion thread for the RP.

I'd also like you all to say whether or not you want me to also play a character in your first post in the thread (just include a small OOC tag), that'll determine on if the character 'Tenryu' will be around full-time or not be around for long.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:05 pm