The Emerald Archive

This is an open prompt role play site where you create the story, the world, and the rules of your thread. No limits and everything comes from your imagination.

Staff

Top posting users this month

Latest topics

» The Time World: A Journey Across Time and Space
Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:16 am by Kriemhild

» The Old World: A Rising Shadow [private]
Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:18 pm by Silim

» The Foreign World [Private]
Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:32 pm by Serenity

» The New World [Private]
Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:51 pm by Serenity

» Kamen Rider Spirits [Private, 1 spot open]
Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:08 am by Silim

» The Modern World [Private]
Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:04 am by Serenity

» Kamen Rider Spirits Campaign Discussion
Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:59 pm by Raiki

» The New World [Plot Discussion]
Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:56 am by Kriemhild

» The Closed World [OPEN]
Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:11 pm by Serenity

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 191 messages in 20 subjects

We have 8 registered users

The newest registered user is abojama

The Closed World [OPEN]

Tsubine
    Admin

The Closed World [OPEN]

Post by Tsubine on Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:39 am

The Closed World

Thread Rules
    1. Adhere to the site rules as stated here: Site Rules

2. Replies do not need to be extremely long. Instead, keep them condensed and avoid fluff and useless information. Posts can even be one or two sentences long if there isn't anything a character would do or say.

3. Keep extremely short 2-3 sentence replies to a minimum. If this is repeated, you've done something wrong with your character. Social interactions are going to be strong in this thread.

4. Posting Headers/Images are allowed as long as they're not massive.

5. Your character might die. Don't get mad at me for it. Instead, talk with me, and we'll find a way to get a new character in.

6. Superpowers and magic are not allowed.

7. Posting order is dependent on who posts first. If there needs to be a change in posting order, talk to me about it.

8. Here is the plot discussion if you want the information for this thread.

Thread Prompt

The World:
    The year is 3203 AD. It has been 600 years since the surface of Earth was deemed completely uninhabitable. Constant war and overpopulation was the cause, and so the United Earth Federation, the ruling government at the time, devised what would become known as the Shell Program. The Shell Program was an idea to create a second, artificial landmass above the planet's surface. The Shell would be a continuous landmass that would stretch over the Americas, Europe, Asia, and Africa. Antartica and Australia, as well as islands deep in the ocean, would thus be left uncovered.

The Shell is made of carbon nanotubes, kevlar fiber, and lunar titanium. This made the entire structure lightweight but incredibly durable. It is supported by 1,500 half-mile-wide pillars, each one supporting a 32,580 square mile zone. Each pillar is made of the same type of material and extends a mile into the sky. Of course, there are many areas where the surface breaks through the Shell. These areas are the only exposure to the surface that most people will ever experience. The Shell has cities and artificial farms and small outposts built on the shiny surface. Most buildings are modular, allowing them to be built up or even moved at any given time.

The Shell was built over a period of 400 years and was christened on New Year's Day of the year 3000. Humans were living on it far before that, as they were migrated to the Shell as the world darkened above them. Some didn't migrate, and they didn't survive. The world progressed atop the Shell, and now only stories and a few scant images remain of the surface.

Things... changed on the surface over the years since the sun was blocked on Old Earth. Old Earth is what the people on the Shell call the surface. Old Earth is the dark place that no one but engineers are allowed to enter. Plants don't have sunlight, so most trees and flowers are simply extinct. Only those few plants that can exist on a diet of no sunlight whatsoever could survive. And they changed. Mushrooms the size of houses are all but common, and trees that were once plants that barely grew more than a foot tall now dominate the landscape. And that's nothing to speak of the creatures...

Current Setting: You start out at Pillar 134, built around 80 miles northeast of the former metropolis of Nashville in the former state of Tennessee. Pillar 134 has been having problems at the base of the massive column. The outer ring of sensor pylons seems to have come under attack by forces or creatures unknown. This is a great danger, as the sensor pylons protect the engineers by warning them before a creature strikes. You will be part of an expedition to repair the pylons. There are four types of positions that will be required—engineer, medic, scientist, and guard. Engineers are the people that are tasked with repairing the pylons. They're quite capable, but not combat effective. Medics are required on trips to Old Earth. The surface is not a fun place to be. Guards are the more armed members of the team. They're meant to make sure that the creatures and plants of the surface don't get killed. Scientists are down there to see why something is attacking the sensor pylons and to get as much data on Old Earth as possible.

You'll be traveling down on the VTOL Jennifer, a twin-engine craft that's made thirteen trips down to Old Earth. It has a four-man normal crew. There's the pilot, Luke Barstowe. He's a gruff man that's formerly of the UEF military. Not much is known of his early life though. Then there's the co-pilot, George LaVerne. George is the second co-pilot of Jennifer, and this is his second trip to the surface. Then there's chief engineer Oliver Pitkartos, who many describe as "the scariest black man they've ever seen." Oliver is rarely seen though—he's usually in the engine room of Jennifer. Lastly, there's Vivian Barbatos. Vivian is the only woman of Jennifer, but she's the master-at-arms of Jennifer. Vivian is the only person that Luke allows to talk back to him—because she's valuable.

You will be boarding the Jennifer at the start of the day at around 9AM. Don't be late.

Loadouts: Because you'll be given standardized gear, it's important to note what all you will have. You can bring a bit more than this, but please be reasonable. There's no reason the medic will have a missile launcher.
    Engineer:

• 1 × Toolkit, specialized for sensor pylon repair
    • 1 × MK22C Light Laser Pistol, 2 additional energy packs. Can fire 50 shots on a single e-pack.

Medic:

• 1 × Medical kit, includes field injury kit.
    • 1 × MK22C Light Laser Pistol, 2 additional energy packs. Can fire 50 shots on a single e-pack.

Guard:

• 1 × MK37 Rail Carbine, 8 additional magazines. Can fire 40 shots per magazine. Comes with shotgun or grenade attachment.
    • 1 × MK23A Heavy Laser Pistol, 4 additional energy packs. Can fire 50 shots on a single e-pack.
    • 1 × Vibro-knife.
    • 4 × Type-4 Fragmentation Grenade

Repairman:

• 1 × Toolkit, general repair.

Scientist:

• 1 × G-7L "Hardiman" drone. Flying orb used as a second set of eyes to determine what something could be. Unarmed.
    • 1 × Lab tablet, used to take samples and to analyze them.

Player Amount: I'm looking for at least 2 other people to join, 3 would be preferred, and my maximum is 5. Doubling up on classes is allowed! If someone else would like to RP as one of the NPCs (besides Captain Barstowe), let me know. You'll still need a character from the list of classes available though.

Misc. Information:
    Normal eye color, skin color, hair color: All darker by a slight bit.
    Air quality: Much better. A bit thinner, yes, but much better. Humans have mostly adapted to that change over time though.
    Diseases: Most diseases are rare, honestly. When the air standard changed, most humans had a hard time adjusting to the thinner atmosphere. This ended up creating a phenomenon known as "Shell Lungs." Shell Lungs makes it hard to breathe and causes constant lightheadedness and potential nausea. That's to say most Shell diseases are rare. Diseases on the surface, however, are still relatively unknown and therefore deadly...
    Herbal Medicines: Because of technology encompassing most of everyday life, herbal medicine is a bit of a rarity nowadays. It is a dying art, and it's said that the remaining herbalists can be counted on two hands.

"Damned thing..." Luke Barstowe hit his head as he finished plugging in the final wire under Jennifer's control panel. Routine maintenance was something he helped with, being a good captain and all. He slammed the panel shut and looked as the touchscreen flickered back to life. The subtle blue glow filled itself with white markings that coalesced into multiple cross-sections of the ship. Luke nodded to himself in approval and stepped out of the ship.

An inspector in the battleship grey uniform of the UEF stood in front of a pile of sealed containers. His tablet was covered in lists and checkmarks, making sure that everything was in order for the trip to the surface. "Everything in order?" Luke arched an impatient eyebrow at the inspector.

The inspector did not raise his head as he continued to type away. "So far, yes. You are a liter short of coolant, but that is within expected parameters."

Luke rolled his eyes. "So can I get my surface pass now?" He requested impatiently.

The inspector seemed a little annoyed by the impatience, but still did not look up. "One moment, captain Barstowe. The surface is a dang—"

"A dangerous place. I know. I've been there," Luke interrupted. He had been there multiple times, and he knew of many of the dangers. He knew of warning signs too.

The inspector looked up over the rim of his glasses at Luke, his mismatched eyes serious. "Not where you're going this time. The repair zone is outside of UEF normal patrols. We sent an advanced party that should rendezvous with you at the landing zone."

Luke rolled his eyes again. "Right, right. The pass?"

From the inspector's belt, a card popped out. "Right here. Good luck, captain Barstowe. You will need it."

Luke snatched the card out of the inspector's hand and the two separated. A loading drone handled the last five crates going into the open cargo bay. It was then that Luke noticed his tag-alongs—the repair crew that he'd be ferrying in. He stopped them from getting aboard the ship by blocking their path with a long stare and crossed arms.

Once they all stopped and Luke seemed to have gotten their attention, he called out to them. "This," he unfolded an arm and motioned to the ship behind them, "is Jennifer. I am her captain, Luke Barstowe. While you are aboard my ship, you follow my orders. If I say to jump out the hatch, you jump out the hatch. If you question my orders, your lives could be in danger. The Surface is not a kind place, and we're going to an area the UEF doesn't send regular patrols through. Before you board the ship, I'll need names, identification, and what you're being sent down there for. If I don't like your answer, you're not going. Understood?"  

Silim
    Corporal
    Corporal

Re: The Closed World [OPEN]

Post by Silim on Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:21 pm

"Jonathan Stein, pleased to meet you, captain, sir." said the first of the repair crew who spoke up, with a rather noticeable German accent in his voice. Despite having learned the English language for as long as he cared to remember, he could never quite shake that one. Stepping forward, the scientist held out his ID-card towards the captain, which had the expected instant information - his name, picture and number - as well as being ready for scanning, if the captain felt like double-checking, which Jon expected, really. He was a tall man - not exactly the image of fitness, but not sickly thin or overweight. All in all, an average man if not for his height and rather striking blue eyes, framed by black hair, combed back and kept in a very short ponytail. While he was part of a repair team, he generally didn't do any heavy physical work directly, otherwise he probably couldn't get away with hair like that.

His outfit didn't instantly scream 'scientist', either - standard military issue. The fact that he had an orb and tablet attached to one side of his hip and a gun on the other was the giveaway for that little fact, together with various pouches on his belt, equipped with tiny containers for samples, all capable of getting hermetically sealed on command of course. When you dealt with the Old Earth, you really didn't want to contaminate yourself OR your crew, and especially not the Shell once you returned.

"I've been assigned as the Science Officer of this mission. Purpose is simple, find out why our pylons are getting destroyed, and by what. Well, I say simple. Of course I mean highly dangerous and possibly foolhardy, but that's Old Earth research in a nutshell." Jonathan felt no need to add that this was very much so his first trip down to the surface - he was already nervous enough without being seen as the 'new meat' on the trip. Hopefully, his education and training wouldn't fail him once they got to the ground level.
    Serenity
    Head Admin

Post by Serenity on Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:16 pm

Ashley Andrick
    Position: Medic

This trip was going to be an easy pay day. That's what Ashley came into this thinking. People got hurt on these missions, but it never seemed to be that bad, so she wouldn't have to do any real work. It almost made her wonder why they wanted her out of all the trained medics they had in stock. Oh well. She arrived and looked around at everything. She refused to touch anything she wasn't handed because her ignorance of something could bring down the whole damn ship and she would not be responsible for something like that. She barely noticed when the Captain began his little speech and only half-paid attention to him when he did.

"Identification?" She thought on what this was supposed to be. Did she bring her medical license with her? She ruffled through her pockets for something, but couldn't find anything. Oh great! Her first fucking mission and they couldn't even tell her what she was going to need to enter the god damn ship? They had already been stupid enough to hand her a gun, what was next!? The guy next to her introduced himself first. She was next, fuck. Couldn't have started on the other end. "I, uh..." Ash rolled her eyes and her demeanor relaxed.

"Ashley Andrick. You should have been informed of my arrival since there was a change in crew." She explained rather casually, "They asked me to be here. They didn't exactly inform me I would need identification either, so I didn't bother bringing it. If that's a problem, I can leave, but being the only damn medic and pretty hard to replace a  moments notice, it's smarter and safer for people who don't want to die... for me to stay. Of course, you're the Captain, so the decision is really just up to you." Yes, the girl who looked too young for this mission had attitude.

Illthion
    Private
    Private

Post by Illthion on Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:11 am

"Well shit, if it isn't former-Lieutenant Barstowe himself.  I'd thought you'd retired from the fun life sir," came a booming feminine voice over the tarmac.  The voices owner made her way towards the Jennifer, pulling along behind her a mobile footlocker fullof personal belongings (by which we mean more ammoand a few changes of clothes).  She was a tall woman of nearly six feet and built like a house.  Which wasn't to say she was ugly, she simply looked exactly like what she was; a soldier.
    Or, at least, she had been.
    Amelia Steele never fotgot a face, though she had committed many to mere memory.  So it brought a smile to her face to see someone she exitrely expected to have never seen again.  She also smiled because, now, she knew they had good odds of making the trip down and back in roughly one piece.  She hadn't bothered to wear her actual combat gear for the ride down, opting instead for a loose cotton top and simple pants.  Strapped over her shoulder was the weapon she'd been assigned for this mission, a strandard issue rail carbine.  She'd already broken the weapon down and inspected it.  She pulled up short of Luke, giving him a crisp salute by way of greeting.

"Been a while; Amelia Steele reporting as ordered."
    There was a strange mixture of nonchalance and protocol to her greeting.  While her voice and words were full of casual greeting and relative ease, her body language spoke of her military background and training.  Her ID hung froma strap around her neck.
    "So, you ready for this?  They're saying its going to be no milk run."
    Tsubine
    Admin

Post by Tsubine on Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:53 pm

The first of the repair crew that Luke met was a tall, lanky man. He spoke with a German accent, but his English was well enough. If his accent was too thick, it actually could cause issues when orders needed to be relayed. Luke hadn't the money or time to repair his translator, so it was a good thing his science officer did speak English. "To the point... Good. Mister Stein, just try to stay out of trouble when we land. Just don't go wandering off because you see a new species of spiderfly," the insect that unfortunately replaced the butterfly. "I've lost three science officers that way. And keep your gun loaded and on you at all times. Do you have any other skills I should be aware of? Any work with demolitions, heavy weapons, electronics?" He asked as he tapped out information on his tablet.

After getting Jon's answer to that, Luke sent the first of his passengers aboard after informing him that his ID would allow him to access what parts of the ship he needed to access. Next up was... "Great, a kid." Luke said, exasperated. He sighed and listened to what she had to say. She was young, but she had the look in her eye of someone who had saved countless lives. As she finished speaking to him, Luke almost whistled. He was impressed. "...A kid that knows their stuff too." Luke reached into his pocket and pulled out what looked to be a white credit card and handed it to her. "This will serve as your access card. After the mission, I want it back."

"I bet this is your first trip down to the surface, correct? If so, remember to always bring identification. I'm only allowing you on Jenny," he pointed to the ship with his thumb, "because I liked your answer." Luke's tone was like a teacher telling a student that while they were wrong, their efforts were worth commendation. "And a word of advice, don't eat anything you find on the surface. At least not until Mister..." He hesitated, remembering Jonathan's surname. "Stein checks it out first. I once saw a man start to glow as he bit into what he thought was the apple he dropped. He died of radiation poisoning within a week. Room 7 is the medbay if you want to set up shop there."

And then, Luke sent Ashley to the ship. Luke inhaled through his nose as he got to Amelia. It's not that he didn't like her. Amelia wasn't the worst person he's been around. If anything, the UEF made it clear they were serious by sending Amelia. "No need to call me sir or lieutenant, Amelia. I've been out of the military for ten years." He paused for a moment and briefly smirked. "Captain will do." Luke tapped away at his tablet. "You said the same thing about your trip to Elendel. We came out mostly okay from that one." Luke finished tapping. "I'm just worried about the kid. Keep an eye out on her, okay?" And Luke sent Amelia aboard.

The final crew members to arrive were the three engineers. Apparently, they were all brothers. Each of them wore orange vests and specialized safety helmets. They each carried a suitcase which matched one another. Each case was thick and looked almost explosion-proof. All three of them were of Chinese descent. "Zhao, Xiang, and Li Xiaowen reporting for duty." All three of them handed ID cards over to Luke, who inspected them—and tapped away. He didn't have much to say about these guys. "Get aboard." Luke whistled for the automatic loaders to load the large crates onto the ship—odd, he thought he saw one more than usual.

Jennifer was a 2-story ship. There was the cargo bay at the bottom, and the rest of the ship was at the top. There were fifteen rooms in the livable space. Only Luke had his own room aboard the ship, the rest of the crew (and the ship's passengers) would need to stay in the bunks. After getting to the bridge and sealing all the bulkheads and the cargo bay door, Luke did a quick diagnostics of his ship. Everything seemed fine. He nodded to his co-pilot, and the ship lurched upwards as the engines whined. There was soon another jostling motion and the ship began to move forward. It only did so a few hundred feet before it stopped again—and then, the ship descended.

As the ship passed through the first bulkhead, Luke picked up a microphone and activated the intercom. "This is your pilot, Luke Barstowe. There's no turning back now. There's no calling out for your mommy. We're going to the surface, and that's that. The descent will take about ten hours. Rest up. You'll get a lunch at 1300 hours. And don't worry, I'll make sure Amelia doesn't cook." And with that, the radio cracked out.  

(Because there will be a long delay, I'm allowing people to do a bit of interaction between their characters. If you want to talk to Luke or any of the other crew, I'll reply. Do not RP within the last 2 hours of the trip. If no one wishes to do this, I'll just skip to the next event. For those that wish to see what the Jennifer looks like!)

Silim
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by Silim on Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:19 am

Jonathan nodded as he put his card back into the pocket, giving a short grin on the comment on not running off alone. Among the many things he had learned during his education and training, 'don't run after the spiderfly' had been one of the earliest lessons, and it apparently still happened - but he had no plan on getting himself killed on his first trip to the surface of the planet.
    "I've gone through basic training, not much else. I know how to shoot this gun, and how to take care of my scientific instruments, but that's about it. Glad to be on board, captain." Giving his quick, factual answer, the German scientist nodded at the explanation of how to access the parts of the ship he needed to be able to access, before boarding as the first one of the new arrivals. He took a quick look back over his shoulder to take a closer look at the others that were now talking to the captain, before boarding the Jennifer with a bit of silent awe.

After finding his way to his assigned bunk, the ship already started moving, and Stein felt his stomach churn for a second or two as he got used to the feeling. Sitting down on the bunk, the science officer took out the tablet on his side and the sphere from his belt, tapping a few buttons on each to start a complete system diagnostic. He had done one just before arriving at the ship, but it was standard procedure to repeat the process periodically during the descent, just to make sure any possible pressure changes didn't cause any problems. The last thing he needed was a broken drone that decided to explode in his hand when he got to activating it - he liked having two hands. As the captain gave his little speech, Jonathan took a deep breath and closed his eyes for a few seconds, exhaling deeply.
    "And to the surface we go..." mumbling that to himself, the science officer activated two magnetic strips on both the terminal and drone, attaching them to the bunk itself so they wouldn't fall down if they had any complications during their descent, just in case he went to sleep or eat with them still in the constant diagnostic mode he'd leave them in during the flight.
    Serenity
    Head Admin

Post by Serenity on Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:11 pm

Ashley Andrick
    Position: Medic

Liking her answer was an excuse and she knew that. The fact was, she was the only medic and losing her would either cancel the mission or leave them in a bad situation if anything did go wrong beneath the shell. He could save face and act like her attitude didn't phase him though, that's fine. Ashley shrugged and moved into the ship. "Seven... Seven... Room Seven." Ashley walked through the ship. Her expression stayed hard, but she was confused. She wasn't exactly familiar with these ships. She found room four, six, and eight. What the hell? Realizing she should have turned at the last corner, she turned back and found Room Seven.

"You'd think they'd of had a decent medic before..." She looked around annoyed as she dusted some things off with a cloth she pulled from her bag, "Did he not hear of cleaning? How are any of them alive?" A moment later, the thought of no one really getting hurt on these missions crossed her mind. "No wonder..." she muttered. No one got hurt, so this place wasn't used too often. That was good. She began dusting things off and setting up her own things as the ship began moving. Ashley immediately sat down and held her stomach. "Whoa... Ugh..." she sighed and pulled out a bottle of pills. She popped one into her mouth and swallowed it as the intercom beeped in.

"... I regret this already... A ten hour descent? What the living fuck is wrong with this ship?" she shouted and stormed out of her room to find the Captain. "What kind of old piece of junk is this!? Ten hours to the bottom!? In olden days, it took ten hours to cross an entire fucking country and I know the shell isn't that high!" She shouted through the halls of the ship, not caring who she was annoying and just passing anyone by until she found Luke. Once she found him, she slammed her hand onto a wall to get his attention. "So what the hell is up with a ten hour trip, huh!? That makes no fucking sense at all. I didn't sign up for that kind of crap!"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:38 am